Preparing the Xeriscape Garden for upcoming Learning in the Garden Workshops are 11 of the most Excellent Edgers and Wicked Weeders of the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ulster County, Master Gardener Volunteers... some of whom are also known as The Mighty Mulchers!
"Learning in the Garden”
FREE Workshops 2014 Schedule
Stone Ridge, NY
Each month through October, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ulster County’s (CCEUC) Master Gardener Program will offer a FREE workshop as part of their “Learning in the Garden” series in their award winning Xeriscape Garden on the SUNY Ulster Campus located at 491 Cottekill Road in Stone Ridge. These workshops are a fun, hands-on approach to demonstrate the principles of gardening! Each workshop is from 10:00am to about 12:00 noon and take place rain or shine.
- Saturday, June 21 - Welcoming Bluebirds
- Saturday, July 19 - Invasive Weed Walk
- Saturday, August 16 - Pollinators and Plants
- Saturday, September 20 - Picture This- Photographing Your Garden
- Saturday, October 18 - End the Season Right- Gardening and Tools
Pre-registration is available but not required. Sign up here.
Gardening Questions?Have plant questions or problems? Can't figure out what that strange looking bug is? Need your soil tested?
Call 845-340-DIRT (3478)
Master Gardener Hotline
There is a Master Gardener Volunteer on the Horticulture Hotline every Friday morning from 9:00 am to Noon, year-round, excluding holidays. In addition to Fridays, the hotline is also manned (gardenered?) on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 am to Noon, during our busy growing season from March 3, 2014 through October 31, 2014.
Messages may always be left any day at anytime (845) 340-3478, but will only be returned during the hotline hours mentioned above.
We are a great community resource for identifying those odd plants and pesky insects. Call or drop by the Horticulture Hotline and Lab located at 232 Plaza Road in Kingston and a Master Gardener will assist you.
The Horticulture Hotline offers free, unbiased, research-based information and advice to more than 1,000 home gardeners annually. Master Gardeners, volunteers trained by Extension experts in the art and science of gardening, will also be available in the office for soil testing, plant and insect identification.
HERE'S WHAT WE OFFER!
PHONE CALLS: FREE during Horticulture Hotline Hours or leave a message and one of our Master Gardeners will return your call.
PLANT AND INSECT IDENTIFICATION:
- $5 for the first sample, $1 each additional sample.
- Insect samples should placed in a sealed container with rubbing alcohol.
SOIL pH TESTING:
- $3 per sample and $1 each additional sample.
- One cup soil samples should be dry and in a sealed bag.
- A basic Soil pH test kit for home use is available for $15.
COMPLETE SOIL NUTRIENT ANALYSIS:
- Sample bags are available for $25 each.
- Once filled with soil, you mail sample to Rutgers University Extension to be analyzed.
- Results will be mailed to you within 7-10 business days.
Click here for soil testing details and instructions.